natural organic skin care recipes




Natural organic skin care recipes







Transcipt


0:00
Hello again everyone! This is going to be my DIY recipes to try video. And by recipes
0:05
I mean, you know, recipes, actual recipes, and ingredients that you may have seen around
0:11
the internet, on Youtube, on blogs, et cetera. Sometimes even magazines have these. The response
0:16
to my last video, the DIY recipes not to try, was so overwhelmingly positive, I got really
0:21
excited to make this one, so let's jump right into it.
0:24
The first thing I want to talk about is probably the most common thing that everyone asked
0:28
about in the comments, and that is honey. Honey is awesome for the skin: completely,
0:34
totally, fabulously awesome in so many ways. This is raw honey, raw honey is always going
0:40
to be better than processed honey, but even processed honey does have its benefits. If
0:44
you can get ahold of raw honey, definitely go for it. It makes a huge difference. But
0:48
let's talk about what honey does for the skin for a sec. Honey is a humectant, which means
0:53
it draws moisture into the skin. It has antiseptic qualities, which means you can put it over
0:57
acne, you can put it even over wounds. Like, my sister's boyfriend had an accident with
1:02
his hand. He had a giant cut on his hand that started to get infected. He put some raw honey
1:06
on it and the swelling went down, the pain went down. It was kind of amazing. So honey
1:12
is definitely a miracle product. Like I said, this is raw honey, another type
1:17
of honey that's really wonderful is called Manuka honey (that is spelled m-a-n-u-k-a,
1:22
I will put that in the description) and Manuka honey is great for so many reasons. It has
1:28
the same sorts of qualities that raw honey does, but it's also really great for digestion,
1:34
for stomach pains, indigestion, ulcer pain, helps with ulcers in general. It's just really
1:40
a wonderful product. So if you have acne, if you have dry skin, if you have normal skin
1:45
and you just want to keep it that way: doesn't matter. Honey is a great ingredient. All of
1:48
you who are asking about honey: it's absolutely wonderful; you should not worry about it at
1:53
all. Just try to get raw honey or Manuka honey if you can.
1:56
The next thing I want to talk about is something called the oil cleansing method. This is gaining
2:00
a lot of popularity around Youtube and around the blogosphere, as it's called. And basically,
2:05
it's various types of recipes of different oils combined to use as a cleanser. And I'm
2:10
sure all of you have heard of different types of cleansing oils, premade cleansing oils,
2:14
like the Mac Cleanse off oil, or the Shu Uemura oil, Laura Mercier has an oil, and they're
2:19
getting very popular. But the benefit to making your own cleansing oil is that you have complete
2:24
control over what goes into it, so you're not going to get any fillers, you're not going
2:28
to get any essential oils, fragrances that you don't want in there. Because remember,
2:32
you do not want fragrance in your skincare products. When you make your own cleansing
2:36
oil, you can choose from a wide variety of different oils that have different beneficial
2:40
properties for the skin. I'm working on different recipes, like, if you Google oil cleansing
2:46
method there are lots and lots of recipes out there, but I personally don't have a list
2:51
in front of me, so we'll get into that another time. But if oil cleansing is something that
2:55
appeals to you, that you've been wanting to try, absolutely look it up. There are, like
2:59
I said, a lot of different oils that are good for different skin types, even oily skin can
3:04
find some oils that are beneficial. With that, you want to be careful that you're using oils
3:09
that are appropriate for your skin, because like I said in the last video, certain oils
3:13
like coconut oil and olive oil are not going to be so good for oily skin or skin that is
3:18
prone to comedogenic breakouts. So just do a little bit of research and make sure that
3:21
you're choosing your oils wisely.
3:22
The next thing I want to talk about is fruit masks. Now, there are a lot of different fruits,
3:26
there are a lot of different recipes for fruit masks. It really doesn't matter what specific
3:30
recipe you're using, all that matters is that you know if the ingredients in the mask are
3:34
good for you. I can happily say that there are many, many fruits that have wonderful
3:38
properties and very beneficial actions on the skin. So, fruits like bananas, any kind
3:44
of berry is going to be good. With berries you've got to watch your pH, I'm going to
3:48
talk about that a little bit later. But, like I said with the lemons, you don't want to
3:51
use anything that's too low or too high of a pH, because you don't want to throw off
3:55
your skin's natural pH. But berries are great, cucumbers are great (cucumber's also a fruit),
4:00
tomatoes are good for oily skin, but again you want to watch the pH. Avocados are also
4:04
a fruit, and they are great for the skin. Basically you're just going to want to choose
4:07
non-citrus fruits, so nothing that has too low of a pH. And also, you want to avoid using
4:13
straight pineapple on the skin, even though pineapple does have a really wonderful enzyme
4:17
that has a nice effect on the skin, you don't want to use straight pineapple itself, because
4:22
that is just a bit too harsh. You can get the enzyme, which is called bromelain, on
4:26
its own and use that in masks, but I don't really recommend putting straight pineapple
4:30
on the skin.
4:31
Just like fruits, vegetables have some great properties for the skin as well, so you can
4:35
feel free to throw some vegetables into your homemade face masks, just as long as you're
4:38
keeping pH in mind. Generally with vegetables pH isn't as much of a concern as it is with
4:44
fruit, but you still want to keep it in mind when you're mixing things at home.
4:48
Let's talk about oatmeal. Oatmeal is another very popular one that came up in the comments.
4:51
And yes, oats are really great for the skin. You just want to watch out for one thing,
4:55
though: if you have any signs of gluten intolerance, you want to be very careful what kind of oats
4:59
you use because of the possibility of cross contamination. And I've talked about this
5:03
at length before, so I'm not going to get into it too much now, but food intolerances
5:08
and food allergies have a very strong impact on the skin, so you just want to make sure
5:12
you know very definitively that what you're putting on your skin is not going to cause
5:17
a systemic reaction or any sort of inflammatory reaction. So, if you're going to use oats
5:21
just make sure you're not gluten intolerant. If you are, make sure you're using certified
5:25
gluten free oats. But otherwise, oats are really great. They have really great properties
5:29
for the skin. And there are a lot of really, really overpriced oat masks that are like
5:33
a little bit of oats and a lot of other crap. But, you know, there's really no reason to
5:37
have to buy these sorts of pre-made masks that are supposed to be like "fresh masks",
5:41
like the kinds that Lush makes basically, because you can take these ingredients, put
5:45
them in a blender, and voila, there you go, you have yourself a fresh face mask. So you
5:49
can take banana, and oat, and glycerin, and a little bit of clay maybe, and some honey,
5:54
and that's a great mask right there.
5:56
I mentioned glycerin. Glycerin is a great ingredient, you can buy it at the drugstore,
5:59
it's going to be I think in the skin care section. It depends where you go, but if you
6:02
can't find it ask someone who works there, they can help you find it. It's very cheap,
6:07
and it's a wonderful humectant, and just a really great thing to have on hand for a lot
6:11
of reasons. I use it in my nail polish remover, and you'll find that it's an ingredient in
6:15
a lot of DIY masks.
6:16
Another ingredient people asked about a lot was aspirin, and aspirin is also something
6:21
that's a good thing to try. Especially if you have acne, I've heard that people have
6:25
really wonderful results with aspirin masks. If you're going to be doing aspirin masks,
6:28
just keep your pH in mind. Like I said, pH is important, and I'm going to talk about
6:32
that in the future. But don't mix straight apple cider vinegar into it, don't mix lemon
6:37
juice into it, mix it with a bit of water. If you want to add like a teaspoon of apple
6:41
cider vinegar or something like that, then that's perfectly fine. I don't really recommend
6:45
lemon juice, like I said in the past video I don't ever really recommend putting lemons
6:49
or lemon juice on the skin. Same goes for limes and oranges and all that. But there
6:53
are great benefits to using aspirin as a skin care treatment, so that is perfectly fine.
6:59
Another one that is perfectly safe to use most of the time is an egg mask, or using
7:03
eggs in your masks. Egg whites have a sort of toning, tightening property, and they can
7:09
be good for oilier complexions. Assuming that you're not allergic to eggs, which I am, so
7:13
I don't use them. But if you tolerate eggs perfectly well, then you can mix them into
7:17
your face masks. If you do have oilier skin, a quick egg white mask is a good way to tighten
7:22
the pores temporarily and reduce a bit of oiliness.
7:25
If you're looking for a base for your DIY mask, almond milk and coconut milk are great
7:32
bases. They are very rich in oils and they have great properties for the skin. Almond
7:37
milk is what I personally use, because like I said millions of times, I'm allergic to
7:43
pretty much everything, which includes coconut. So I don't use coconut oil or coconut milk.
7:47
But almond milk is a great carrier if you don't want to use regular milk, which is also
7:50
fine if you tolerate dairy products. Any sort of milk is fine, as long as you don't have
7:55
any sort of dietary contraindications, you can use whatever kind of milk base you want.
8:00
The only caveat is that I'm not a big fan of soy products. I think you really need to
8:05
be careful when you're getting into soy. On the skin it's less of an issue, but in general
8:09
I don't really recommend soy. I don't think it's some miracle ingredient, and it's definitely
8:14
lowest on my list of milk bases and plant ingredients. I'm not a big fan of soy. It's
8:22
not necessarily the worst thing you could be putting on your skin; I'd much rather you
8:24
be putting soymilk on your face than alcohol obviously. But because of what I know about
8:30
nutrition and soy's effect on the body, it's not something that I would personally want
8:33
to use all the time. I will leave that for you to decide, though, that's just my little
8:37
take on it.
8:38
I did talk about coconut oil and olive oil as makeup removers in my last video, with
8:42
the caution that if you do have skin that is prone to comedogenic reactions, you probably
8:47
don't want to be using those on your face. However, if you do not have comedogenic reactions,
8:51
they are perfectly safe to use on the face as a makeup remover. I do not recommend that
8:56
you use them as a primary moisturizer because they are not the best tolerated in the skin.
9:00
However, if you are just using them to take off your makeup and then using your cleanser
9:05
over that, I think they're perfectly fine so long as you know you're not prone to comedogenic
9:09
breakouts.
9:09
I'm a big fan of home chemistry in general. I think that, you know, you can make your
9:14
own lip balms. If you're into body scrubs, you can make your own body scrubs. Making
9:19
a body scrub is probably the easiest thing in the world. The only thing I don't recommend
9:23
is using a really coarse grained salt or sugar. You want to get something that's on the finer
9:28
side, because I talked about crystalline substances in the last video, how they can create tiny
9:33
lacerations in the skin and that can be irritating. On the body, the body skin is a bit more resilient
9:39
so it's not as much of a problem as the face, but I definitely would avoid using coarse
9:44
Epsom salts or coarse rock type salts. Use salts and sugars that are going to be smaller
9:51
grained and less abrasive. As for what oils to mix in, you can pretty much use any oil
9:56
you want. It really does not matter that much. As long as you are not having a reaction to
10:01
it, there are so many wonderful carrier oils. When I'm talking about oils, I'm talking about
10:06
carrier oils and emollient oils, not fragrant oils. We're not talking about essential oils
10:10
or any sort of perfumes. Those are never advised, pretty much ever. But anything like your grape
10:16
seed oils, your olive oils, your coconut oils, your shea butters, your jojoba oils, any of
10:20
these oils are great for any sort of DIY project.
10:24
Something else I mentioned in the last video is jojoba beads. And these are just little
10:28
beads of wax that you can add into cleansers, body wash, anything to make a scrub. If you
10:33
don't want to use something like a coarse salt scrub or sugar scrub, you can definitely
10:37
get a bag of jojoba beads, they're pretty cheap. You can buy them in bulk from various
10:41
online retailers. Pretty much any sort of DIY skin care type site should have them,
10:46
but just do a google search for it, I'll put that in the down bar below. But jojoba beads
10:51
are great because they come in different sizes, they are gentle because they're spherical
10:54
and they're just a wax. But also they are much, much better for the environment, because
10:58
they're a natural wax, they are biodegradable and much better than the plastic beads that
11:02
you're getting in your store bought scrubs, body scrubs, et cetera. You may have heard
11:06
a little bit about it on the news recently, these plastic pellets from scrubs are getting
11:10
to be a real problem. So if you can avoid using them, I would absolutely encourage you
11:15
to do so.
11:16
So those are all the recipes I can think of right now. If I didn't mention something that
11:20
you've heard about it, it may have been in my last video, which I will link and should
11:24
be a video response to this video; or it's just something that I haven't heard of, or
11:29
it's something that I've forgotten. So feel free to leave more recipes in the comments
11:32
below, and I will keep a list of anything that I didn't mention and try to talk about
11:36
it in a future video. If you like these videos, if you like what
11:38
I have to say, if I've helped you in any way, I would really, really appreciate it if you
11:42
would hit that thumbs up button, subscribe, and please share my videos with your friends.
11:47
It would help me out very, very much. I've had a really wonderful response to the last
11:50
video, so let's keep it going, because the more support I have, the more of these videos
11:54
I can make. Thank you guys so much, and I will talk to you again very soon. Bye!



No comments:

Post a Comment